Where to find local compostable products
HATE WASTE? BE A DISCRIMINATING EATER!
TO REDUCE WASTE WHILE EATING OUT
- Eat at Restaurants that use real dishes.
- As a second choice eat at restaurants that serve food in compostable and/or recyclable containers AND who recycle and compost the containers.
- As a third choice buy carryout at restaurants that serve in compostable or recyclable containers if you can compost/recycle them at home.
- Ask your favorite restaurant if they will compost or recycle.
- Bring your own to-go or leftovers containers–or ask for tin foil and recycle it at home.
WHERE TO BUY COMPOSTABLE PRODUCTS
- CUB EAST has Wild Harvest compostable plates, cups and cutlery. Cub West has Wild Harvest cutlery and Shopper’s Value compostable plates.
- PARTY CITY has a special “ECO-PARTY” section with a variety of plates, bowls, paper straws and BARE cups (more colors on line).
- PARTIES & WEDDINGS PLUS has a selection of compostable plates, cutlery and wax sandwich bags.
- Some restaurants have switched from Styrofoam to other take- out containers. These are not recyclable if the paper containers have plastic coating. Ask restaurants to offer compostable take out containers and cutlery instead of plastic coated paper.
- Mankato Cub stores have compostable bags.
RESTAURANTS WITH COMPOSTABLE TAKE-OUT CONTAINERS
- All take-out cardboard pizza boxes are compostable
- Coffee Hag
- Mom & Pop’s
- Dickeys BBQ
- Pizza Ranch chicken boxes
- Tandem Bagels
- Wooden Spoon
- River Rock Coffee
BEWARE OF “GREEN-WASH”
Saying it’s compostable is not enough. Look for the logos: